web browsing with java support

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Mar 9 12:44:25 EST 2007

This is brilliant writing. A few observations:

1.)	Yes, I'm old enough to remember the teletypewriter. I confess.

2.)	The analogy goes much deeper, however. The ancient library of
Alexandria was famous for having more books than had ever been collected
in one place at one time. However, these were not "books" as we know
"books" today. They were what we today call "scrolls," and they were
stored in cases like what we today might call pigeon holes.

3.)	This is the big one. Javascript is old technology. Talking about
catching up to it in your excellent terms is no longer enough. Why?
Because static pages are also rapidly going the way of scrolls. Take an
example--how would you handle live regions in a one dimensional browser?
You can't, really. You can only take a snapshot at one instant of time.

Just to be clear, live regions are the concept that selected regions of
a web page are updated in a streaming sort of way--without reloading the
entire page. This is the future, and it's a near term future. It is why
the Protocols and Formats Working Group in the W3C is so bent on
developing accessibility support for dynamic content. You can read about
this in greater detail at:

http://www.w3.org/wai/pf

Look for the "Aria" documents.

Janina