best use of resources

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Wed Mar 7 05:45:19 EST 2007

Hi.

Before you spend time on these projects, you might want to look at
existing code.  consider the case of elinks and links2.  The javascript
support in links2 was written from scratch.  By the time it was
finnished, it was out of date.  Also, links2 is missing several features
need to support modern web standards.  When the developers of elinks
wanted to add javascript support, they learned from links2 and decided
to use an existing javascript engine (spidermonkey).
This allowed them to focus on integrating javascript support without
writing a lot of code from scratch.  Since elinks already had support
for css and other standards, elinks will become a better choice for a
text browzer than links2 or lynx.  The javascript support in elinks
isn't finished yet, but you might want to consider helping with that
instead of starting over.  Remember, once you have a javascript
interpreter, you will still need to add it to an existing browzer.

I haven't looked at Daisy players yet, but there are already some
available.  They will probably need to be updated, but updating an
existing player might be easier than writing one from scratch.

          Kenny