ot, configuring x

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Tue Mar 6 19:45:54 EST 2007

Greg,

It seems that x-windows has advanced quite a lot recently,
I never have to do any pre-configuration anymore. Even on
a fresh OS install, all I ever do is startx, and the x-windows
system figures out its settings automatically. This may not
be true in all cases, but it always works me this way, unlike
in the past when you had to configure x before running it.

Regarding permissions, I never do anything special with
x-windows, the x server should work for any user logged
into the system, and it writes files such as .Xauthority
into the user's home directory automatically.

Doug