Text-To-Speech on Phones: Nuance Talks

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Tue Mar 6 19:23:16 EST 2007

Kirk,

You said:
I was trying to figure out how to modify speakup to be able to
talk to standard devices instead of special devices because I
thought that was what was expected by the kernel hacker
community. I found out about two weeks ago that was not was
expected and in fact is verboden.

Could you elaborate on this a bit, why should it be forbidden
to write to standard devices, because that should only be
done in user space? If console output can already write to
the USB bus (generic-serial, usb-serial), it would seem that
speakup needs to be in-between those, console to speakup
then speakup to usb-serial.

You said:
We have developed a usb driver for the 2.4.x kernels which
is a standard device driver like the dtlk driver under the
character devices.  We don't have it for the 2.6.x kernels yet

Is this 2.4 driver currently part of the distribution on cvs,
and if not could I possibly get the source to try this? I would
like to try output to what appears as a generic usb serial
device on the system. I may be able to devote some time
to working on 2.6 support in the future.

Thanks,
Doug