Text-To-Speech on Phones: Nuance Talks

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Sun Mar 4 21:24:12 EST 2007

I can see from the driver code in speakup.c that when you
specify speakup_ser=# that translates to a lookup that
returns the hexadecimal port 0x3f8, 0x2f8, 0x3e8, 0x2e8.
So I'm guessing the speakup drivers writes into memory
on the ISA bus at that port address, is this right?

One interesting thing is that it's already possible to direct
console output to a USB serial dongle as described here:

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO.html#KERNELCOMPILE-25-USB-MENUCONFIG

Kernel configuration for USB dongle serial console using make menuconfig
USB Serial Converter support --->
<M> USB Serial Converter support
[M] USB Serial Console device support
[M] USB Generic Serial Driver

Kernel configuration for USB dongle serial console using .config
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_CONSOLE=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC=m

If the kernel console can write to USB serial dongle then
there must be a way for the speakup driver to do the same.

  -- Doug