boot freezing before Speech comes up

Cleverson clever92000 at yahoo.com.br
Sun Mar 4 20:57:35 EST 2007

Hello,

Now I added speech-dispatcher to the boot runlevel of my Gentoo system, and
added speechd-up to the default runlevel as well.

While booting, it displays some messages that I didn't take note, but they
are something like this:

could not detect custon alsa settings

Then the system freezes and I have to press any key for the boot to
continue. When I press some key, the boot goes ahead and eSpeak starts
speaking perfectly.

For info, I have two soundcards in my machine. One is a Via AC-97 onboard;
another is an off board soundcard with CMedia chipset.

I'm gonna have to learn how to set up the AC-97 onboard as my default
soundcard, as  Gentoo has set CMedia by default.

If someone has a tip to avoid this freezing at boot, I'll be grateful.

Thanks,
Cleverson

"Be realistic; ask for the impossible."