Dectalk USB in serial mode

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Sun Mar 4 17:15:51 EST 2007

When you configure a kernel before building it, for most drivers
you can specify M for module or * to statically build it into the
kernel. I am speaking of the menuconfig method, in the actual
.config file that is generated they will be either y (static) or m
(module). So if usb is compiled in, then its available at boot.
For example, in the .config file:

CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC=y

And of course you have the right host controller also set to
static (UHCI or OHCI or EHCI) ...

And if the serial device is generic serial, it should work without
any modules loading, it's statically in the kernel at boot. This of
course requires building the kernel from source, and you end
up with a specific kernel for your hardware.

The problem is that many USB serial devices are not truly
generic, they do not implement the USB CDC per specification.
However, if you find your USB serial device listed in the
menuconfig (belkin, ftdi, keyspan, etc) and set it to static
compile, it should be available at boot time. The same can
be done with audio drivers.