Text-To-Speech on Phones: Nuance Talks

Michael Whapples mikster4 at msn.com
Sun Mar 4 13:21:08 EST 2007

I think the biggest barrier to creating an open source screenreader for
the symbian phones is the lack of a free synthesiser. mbrola has been
ported, but that version doesn't do full text to speech as it requires
it in a .pho file, and also it is very large for such devices. I wonder
if espeak could be ported, admittedly it will have to output to wave
files and then those played, but it is much better for the system
resources than mbrola.

From
Michael Whapples