OT: saytime program

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Mar 1 15:11:07 EST 2007

Yeah, I have a line in my crontab like this:

0 * * * * /bin/date +"\%l \%P" | /usr/local/bin/say -fi /dev/stdin

Note that there is no %M in the date format string so every hour it just
says "2 P M" or whatever.  IMO, this is a better approach than running
another daemon just to say the date once an hour.

I deliberately did not have it stop saying the time at some reasonable hour
like 9 PM. This is for the benefit of the cleaning staff. :-)

One last note... I have a linux box at home that i often access from my
office. I've played sounds just to see if I get an error message. So far, no
complaints from my wife about strange noises coming from my home office. I
was thinking of playing a practical joke this way though. "Hey hotstuff, how
about coming over here and tickling my keyboard."