Slackware: kernel confusion

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Tue Jun 26 17:20:07 EDT 2007

Yeah, I'm thinking of maintaining both the latest 2.4 and 2.6
kernels.  I have a Cisco VPN client that works OK with a 2.4 kernel
but as soon as I throw it on a 2.6 kernel, I keep getting miss-matched
kernel versions or some such; I thought it was compiled to work with
2.6 but here we go with closed source again <yuck!>.

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 11:21:03PM -0500, Doug Sutherland wrote:
> Yea, listen to patrick, "unless you have a particular reason" to install
> headers then it's better to not do so. The glibc is the crux of all of
> this toolchain, and the same reason why that old viavoice became
> a nightmare to support. The distro folks like patrick play with gcc,
> glibc, and binutils combination until they find a stable combination
> to build the entire system out of. The kernel headers, as he states
> in his warning, it's dangerous to use headers newer than the glibc
> version on your system. You can still build the 2.6.x kernel. There
> are some situations where stuff will not build, which is why he has
> the headers on the site, but don't change headers as a default
> starting point, only as a last resort. And yes, you don't need the
> modules, in fact you don't need anything from there. Patrick uses
> ONLY unmodified kernels anyways, so if you want the latest
> that still works with speakup, grab the last of the 2.21.x from
> kernel.org. Or be like us old folks who prefer the stable
> "trailing edge". I have not found a need for 2.6.x yet, so using
> Patrick's similar logic, I will do so when I have a reason to.
> I used to chase the leading edge kernels but found that it was
> generally a waste of time in the large scheme of things.
>
>   -- Doug

HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!
http://holmesgrown.ld.net/