Jeez, what hassle.

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Sun Jun 24 11:08:07 EDT 2007

That Dialog based installer system is dangerous because it's
so easy to make a mistake, one wrong keystroke and there
is no going back, so if you accidentally press enter on any
of the sections, you're stuck with whatever was selected in
that section. This one part of slackware that should have
been fixed using different tools long ago, but I guess patrick
figures its not broken, so don't fix it.

I was thinking, all of the content that goes into those dialog
screens are stored in files, so it should be possible to read
those files and generate an alternate install method. It would
be nice to have a script that makes a file containing all of
the install choices, similar to the kernel .config, and another
script that does the entire install with one command. Then
you could also have a default install config, and possibly
even launch that automatically from a special boot disk.
I may consider working on something like that some day
but I have too many other things I'd like to tackle first.

  -- Doug