Jeez, what hassle.

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sun Jun 24 09:55:29 EDT 2007

In a recent message, Dialog was brought up and that reminds me about
what I would like to do with it.  What seems to be the biggest problem
for me is the inability to track cursor positioning and to know
precisely which buttons are highlighted befor choosing.  Yes, you can
do that double speak trick to identify the current position in a list
but that is awkward at best and I don't remember right now how well
the highlight option works with dialog.  Besides, I don't think the
version of speakup on Slackware supports that highlight option
either.  What I would like to do with dialog is get into the program
and add logic to set the cursor position each time an item is
highlighted.  I think a similar thing was done to the menuconfig
script for the linux kernel paatched by speakup.  That is, the
menuconfig doesn't position the cursor without the speakup patches
either.  So, I think it is time to update dialog with such a change
and see if that can be included into their production path.  I think
dialog is a cool way to create simple menus with little effort.  I
found a similar deal for perl scripts and it *DOES* do cursor
positioning in its default form; just need to do a little something to
their radio buttons but every thing else works with it.
--
HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!