[ot] Windows programming

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Sat Jun 23 19:15:13 EDT 2007

Actually, I'm very definitely *not* a fan of visual basic.
I use powerbasic instead (http://www.powerbasic.com)
It comes with a rather large subset of the windows api calls already
converted to powerbasic includes, and I simply study those when I need
to know what api is needed to do something.
Also, in addition to having one large win32api.inc file, they also
have broken it into smaller includes such as tcp/ip, comm, playback
services, graphic manipulation, sapi speech, and more.
It's really an excellent development environment, 100% accessible, and
programs are considerably smaller than any visual basic program you'll
ever see.  Not to mention, everything you need for the execution of
the program is compiled into the exe file, so there's no need to hope
the folks have the proper dlls on their systems.
And, they're still supporting, upgrading, and creating new versions of
their tools.
They even still sell powerbasic for dos.
Now, how's that for support.
In fact, pb for dos was just upgraded to version 4.0 (from 3.5) only a
year or two back.