Regarding the solution of this computer issue

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sat Jun 23 02:44:34 EDT 2007

There are certainly reasons for running Windows on a machine; easy
troublefree access to word documents, skype, soundforge, cisco cariculum
access all spring to mind.
I have successfully run Windows in about 30gb of disk space, and if you have
a 320gb drive why not allocate 80gb for Windows and the rest for Linux?

I run Linux on all my file and web servers, we use it for the audio playing
pc and it runs on the firewall.
I run Windows on my laptops, because I require access to flash enabled sites
for teaching cisco and my internet banking does not work at all in Linux
without running a GUI and a copy of firefox which is still beta.

If I need Linux on the laptops I run it inside vmware which is fine for
non-time-critical tasks. As to the performance of vmware workstation verses
server, I haven't had any problems with this.
Often the problems of vmware's virtual machines is due to the fact that
Linux kernels especially smp kernels demand an extremely high timer
frequency 1000 or 2000hz which Windows can not provide.
Recompiling the Linux kernel that will run in the virtual machine to use
hz=100 and optionally turning off smp apic and setting the timer source to
pit with clock=pit makes a big difference.

There is an article on vmware time keeping on vmware.com that explains all
this happy to give more details if desired.
Regards, Kerry.