dectalk or double talk advice

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Fri Jun 22 15:47:33 EDT 2007

First, the operating systems mentioned were suse linux, and
netware. There was no mention of windows, thus I don't see how the
reference to jaws fits in, unless it was to explain how jaws gets its
data, which is besides the point.

Also, the reference to usb being the better choice was
inappropriate, since speakup currently doesn't support usb synths, as has
been mentioned here frequently, especially in recent threads. Having
said that, if you're going to rely on speakup, you will want to be
sure that all the work stations you're going to use have at least 1
rs232 serial port. If they don't, then you're in trouble if you
expect to use speakup.

Also, be aware that suse doesn't include speakup in their
distribution, and I'm not aware of any existing suse kernels with
speakup patched into them. You mentioned also not being sure about the
accessibility of slackware. Actually, slackware was the first
distribution to include a speakup-patched kernel in the official
slackware media.

As for which synth to choose, I think the 2 biggest factors in that
decision are the speech, and the price of each. The doubletalk lt is
cheaper than the dectalk usb, which does also have a serial port as
far as I know. As for the speech, I personally prefer that of the
doubletalk, but that's probably because I've used a doubletalk far
more than I have used a dectalk, and others may disagree here as
well. Speech is a very qualitative subject, and there is no synth that
fits every person's taste perfectly. As an aside, you wouldn't have
been able to use a doubletalk pc anyway, because they aren't being produced
anymore, and because it is very hard these days to find a pc with an
isa slot. Hth.

Greg

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 12:23:06AM -0700, Littlefield, tyler wrote:
> First, you're not going to get speech support without a program.
> The screen reader puts hooks in the kernel, or catches the video in the case
> of jaws, and translates.
> Next, I'd recommend USB, because, if you start using newer systems, most
> don't have a serial port.
> Third, the accessibility of slackware is fine, unless you insist on running
> under gnome, x, or something else, then you're really not getting the
> benafit of linux.
> HTH,

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org