[ot] Windows programming

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Fri Jun 22 01:55:40 EDT 2007

I might give mingw a looky some time.  I messed with cygwin a while
back and I didn't mind the overall environment all that much but I
hated the installer! I found the pick list to be completely
inaccessible.  I couldn't track the selection status of any of the
list items within each package category.  I sure didn't want to
install every single package so when I had such a hard time picking
packages, I finally gave up on it.  I also wrote to the developers on
the support list about the installer and the response was the program
was so complex and intrenched that it would be nearly impossible to
change it.  So I am no longer interested in doing anything with
cygwin.

My only other experience with the windows API was with Visual Basic
and the internal object browser.  I found quite a bit of information
in the help system within the browser.  That would probably next to
impossible to pull that info without the Microsoft development
environments such as in Visual Studio.  Perhaps the tutorials Greg
mentions is a big help.
--
HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!