[ot] Windows programming

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Thu Jun 21 22:49:37 EDT 2007

The simplest windows programming environment for a linux programmer
is of course GNU C, which you have already mentioned. Cygwin is more
full functioned than MinGW but more complex and has a few quirks that
I really do not like, for example it's installation process is bizarre and
annoying, the way it maps windows directories to unix naming is weird,
the options for file types can be confusing, and I found that sometimes
its impossible to remove all of cygwin. It creates some files that just
cannot be deleted, I hate software that does that. On the other hand
it's an impressive environment, you can almost have it look exactly
like a linux machine.I have used Cygwin and MinGW and I have to
say that MinGW was simple in the way I like it. I do not like complex
development environments. I don't want to spend a week just to
figure out how to do hello world. MinGW is faster to get actually
programming with, and although limited in comparison, was just
right for my needs. It has the win32 API:

http://www.mingw.org/docs.shtml#win32api

I did some win32 with this and I loved it because it's GNU and very
straightforward. The Win32 API however is extremely complex and
very annoying. Surprised? <g> Your battle will be more one of
understanding the win32 API that one of tools. It can take quite a
while to do the simplest of things with win32. I would recommend
looking for some small tutorials, that's what I did and found a few
that got me started. Find a getting started tutorial for MinGW and
look for really simple win32 examples. I didn't do any win32 serial
code but you can most likely find some examples on the net.
I don't know anything about SAPI.

  -- Doug