TTSynth Is Available Again

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Thu Jun 21 00:14:23 EDT 2007

A better answer ...

Travis wrote:
> Why would you need any libs (regardless of gcc version) if it was a
> statically linked binary?

Well, here's what I wrote about getting it working on slackware 9.1
http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~priestdo/emacspeak/list.archive.2004/msg00128.html

Apparently it's not actually a statically linked binary because I had
to use glibc 2.3.1 and invoke viavoice using ld-2.3.1.so. We take
a lot for granted with distros, it's generally easy to build kernels
but the toolchain can be a bear. Note that the enu50.so (the
speech engine library) not only required an old glibc, it had to be
invoked using old loader. When I did this I had two glibc versions
and two loader versions on my system. I don't know if there is a
better way, but this approach worked on slackware and lfs.
I have no idea if that is still true today, apparently I did it three
years ago.

Also from my notes, on slackware I used rpm2tgz to unpack viavoice.
Now I remember, the rpm tool choked because of dependencies.

I will not reveal how many hours I messed with getting viavoice
working on newer systems. An insane amount I think.

  -- Doug