TTSynth Is Available Again

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Tue Jun 19 09:16:22 EDT 2007

There has never been source code available for ibm viavoice.
It is not open source, never has been, never will be. What
was provided was a header file to be included in your own
source which allowed you to invoke engine functions. See
the documentation for ibm tts, it's all spelled out.

Hynek Hanke said:
It looks to me that the source code is definitely not available
except for small helper applications like tts_connector which
are useless without the main TTSynth code anyway, am I right? :(

Unless things are different than when I use it, and I don't think
so, there is a binary executable with an API that you can call
from programs. That doesn't make it useless, it just means
the engine is not open source. You shouldn't need to mess
with the engine anyways.

>From what I have seen, I'm pretty sure IBM didn't own the
source for tts, so they can't give it away. It looks to me like
it's a license from eloquence, binary license.

  -- Doug