gentoo dropping speakup support

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Mon Jun 18 08:37:49 EDT 2007

Doug your talking a lot of sense, and when I mentioned about speakup and
how it accesses serial ports I think I was thinking back to some of your
comments.

You have within this thread mentioned should be speakup be a combination
of kernel code and user space code, I think I may have mentioned this
before and would also support this type of idea. As an example, I think
the jupiter speech system is this combination approach, how does it
compare to speakup for ease of being maintained to work with newer
kernels, I know that there has been some times in the past when speakup
has had to be altered specifically for newer kernels (sometimes breaking
it for the older kernels).

Another thought about this idea of making the core of speakup not be
interface specific (which I think would be a good idea), is that I think
on the list someone asked about a headless install, and there was a
reply that if by headless this would also mean no video card, then
speakup wouldn't work, I don't know if it could be done another way, but
this seems a bit specific (thinking, may be speakup would have a driver
to access video memory, but also could have another dummy graphics
driver should the machine not have a video card).

Having all the boot messages, while it is useful, and speakup is about
the only way I know how to get the messages at the time (all, from the
earliest possible moment), the question should be asked, on a properly
configured system, how many problems might realistically occur before
such a stage as USB console can work, and eventually the serial ports
that speakup can currently use will soon be gone if the trend of
hardware manufacturers is anything to go by.

I don't know how many are actually working on speakup, but I think it is
only a few and speakup is probably not the only thing for them. I have
to admit as I understand things we are going to have to make hard
decissions and put what effort in the best direction, may it need to be
a complete rewrite, etc.

From
Michael Whapples