gentoo dropping speakup support

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Mon Jun 18 02:18:11 EDT 2007

Speakup does use modules, and it can be statically compiled
into kernel instead. That's not a problem. The serial ports,
however only support real serial ports, not usb-serial, which
is becoming a problem.

As I said a few months ago, the whole usb mess can be
statically compiled, including the usb core, the host controller,
and even usb-serial devices audio devices, and synth drivers,
like the dtlk for example, so in theory it should be possible to
boot and get speech output, with changes to speakup.

As it is now, the code refers to the standard serial port
addresses and irqs, and the communication code is RS232
specific.

So this what I mean about abstraction. An abstract interface
does not implement anything, it only defines. The implementation
can be anything as long as it follows the interface. So basically
there needs to be a layer of code in between the serial port code
and the code that writes to it, one interface with several
implementations, RS232 serial, USB serial, and potential for any
other kind of implementation. And my argument was that the
same could be done on the user side, pressing a certain key does
some thing, currently assumed to be standard keyboard, but
would be nice if abstract interface where the keyboard is one type
of controller, other devices could trigger same. I'm mostly thinking
about mobile pervasive systems, where you might want to read a
message or email, not type, and your device is in your pocket. So
you have a little controller sort of like a game pad where you can
move between messages and read them etc, or get phone numbers
from a list. If the interface to the synth is generic then there are all
kinds of  possibilities.

I will be working on this kind of thing with speech, and I am
still contemplating whether or not it needs to be kernel space.
On an embedded device you really don't need to see all the
boot messages, because it will load kernel from flash and will
always work. If I find a way to adapt this code to work on
arm then I might use it, but I actually think I could do the same
thing entirely in user space. Boot is much simpler than PC and
very fixed in nature, ie once done it shouldn't change, no need
to support gazillions of types of hardware etc. I like the idea
of being able to hear the console output, but then I might end
up just using usb-serial console and having a microcontroller
providing a terminal function, in other words both the speech
and keyboard functions. If done that way it would possibly
miss a very small amount of boot messages, but not many.
It would be the same as using a terminal program with your
PC connected to another PC with usb serial dongle and
watching the other machine boot.

  -- Doug