moving from amd to p3?

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Sun Jun 17 01:18:57 EDT 2007

I didn't know that make oldconfig would recognize new
options and prompt you for them. I guess that's because
I don't usually use oldconfig. Since having the right config
is the most important part of the kernel build, I always do
it from scratch, with only the new source tree and nothing
old in there. Perhaps I'm a glutton for punishment. hehe.

But for those who haven't compiled kernel, it's really
not that hard. Like most things, there's only one way to
learn, by screwing up a few times and making kernels
that won't boot, and learning how to recover from that,
learning by trial and error what some of those drivers
are and are not. I also highly recommend doing the
linuxfromscratch thing if you have the time and patience.
It's quite satisfying to build the entire mess from source
and gives you a much better understanding of the
fundamentals of linux.

When I first started using linux I had this constant fear
of  missing stuff, if I didn't have everything installed then
I wouldn't be able to build or use xyz software later.
Now I'm the opposite, I always want a minimal system,
only what I need and nothing more. Some of these
distros have 6GB of software on the disks. Insane.

  -- Doug