moving from amd to p3?

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sat Jun 16 23:43:25 EDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 09:49:27PM -0500, Doug Sutherland wrote:
> Also, it doesn't seem right to copy an existing  .config after doing the
> speakup patch. The speakup patch adds new items into .config after
> speakup is selected in menuconfig, the CONFIG_SPEAKUP and
> other related entries. If you copied in a .config from a kernel without
> speakup then it won't have the speakup stuff in .config.

In that case, you'll be prompted for those options when doing
config/menuconfig/oldconfig, and you'll be told that it's a new option.

> If you copy
> some existing .config then it may not match the kernel that you are
> compiling from source. If it's the same kernel version that you used
> before it will work, but if you now have a newer kernel it may or
> may not work, and you might be missing some new stuff that's in the
> newer kernel version.

Yes. If you're using a .config file that you didn't generate yourself from an older kernel to compile a
newer kernel, it's still fine to run oldconfig and get prompted for
any new options. However, after doing that, you should do
config/menuconfig, and verify the configuration. No, this isn't
redundant. Doing oldconfig gives you the chance to configure any new
options the way you want them configured, while doing
config/menuconfig let's you verify the configuration, without having
to worry that you might miss any new, and maybe important options. However, if your
distribution's kernel version matches the kernel version you're
compiling, I still think using the distro's .config will give you a
good starting point.

> It is a pain to go through the config, but worthwhile to understand
> what you need and don't for your hardware. There is so much in
> the kernel that is not needed on most systems. If you set all those
> to not be included, then you have a whole lot less to compile.

Agreed. It's too bad there isn't a script for linux that can examine
the hardware in a system, and generate a streamed down .config
specific to that system. One of the neat things about netbsd is that
there is a script that parses your dmesg output when running the
netbsd-supplied kernel, and then it generates a streamed-down kernel
config specific to your hardware.

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org