Hello...

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Thu Jun 14 18:12:24 EDT 2007

Doug Sutherland wrote:
> Doubletalk has commands. At the device level, as interpreted over
> the serial connection to the chipset, commands are embedded in
> the text stream, identified by a CTRL-A or ASCII character 01.

     Okay.  I get the picture.  Perfect...if SpeakUp doesn't complain.
Man, I love that interface.  Especially for laptop users.  Never did
care for mice, and like my fingers glued to the home-row on the
keyboard.  (asdf-jkl;)  The laptop config makes it even easier.  No
hunting for the notches on the F and J keys.  If Kirk and Andy weren't
such ugly looking women, I'd propose to 'em. <grins>  This is what a
screen reader !should! be.  Dunno if I've seen it in X though.  Oralux
kinda sounds like everything is in text mode, as far as the client list,
anyway.  A friend at CVALE (Central Valley Area Linux Enthusiasts) also
sent me a copy of Ubuntoo, I think.  Never got it working.
     I was thinking along the lines of the old Sound Blaster's "say"
command for DOS, where you could have the computer say whatever.  Might
also be nice to feed the synth's output back into the microphone and
record things to mp3 or WAV format.  How well does SpeakUp work with
bitchx, do you know?  Hanging out on openprojects was another bad habit
i'd like to renew. <grins>  Thank you for the info.  You've all been an
enormous help.

         Michael