Hello...

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Thu Jun 14 23:57:16 EDT 2007

Doubletalk has commands. At the device level, as interpreted over
the serial connection to the chipset, commands are embedded in
the text stream, identified by a CTRL-A or ASCII character 01.
This indicates a command will follow, and they are:

T - Text Mode - Places the synth in text operating mode as
opposed to character mode, reading words insteads of letters

nT - Text Mode Delay - adds a pause between words. A zero
value for n is normal speech, other values cause longer pause.
The value of n can be 0 to 15.

C - Character Mode - Places the synth is character operating
mode instead of text mode, reading letters one at a time rather
than whole words

nC - Character Mode Delay - adds a pause between letters.
A zero value is normal speech, other values cause longer pause.
The value of n can be 0 to 15.

D - Phoneme Mode - Disables the text-to-phonetics translator
allowing direct access to phonemes. Allows you to specify
words in phonemes, example computer is k ax m p yy uw dx er

nS - Speed - Sets the speech speed. Default value of n is 5,
range of speed is 0 to 13.

nO - Voice - Selects a preset voice. There are eleven preset
voices, default voice is 0, range of n is 0 to 10.

nA - Articulation - Changes the voice from slurred 0 to choppy 9.
Default value of n is 5, range from 0 to 9.

nE - Expression - Intonation or variation in pitch within phrase.
Value of 0 for n is no intonation, range from 0 to 9.

M - Monotone - Disables intonation

nF - Formant Frequency - Adjust overall frequency response
over the range of 0 to 99, default value 50.

nP - Pitch - Adjust pitch over range of 0 to 99, default value 50.

nT - Tone - Adjust tone over range 0 to 2, where 0 is bass
setting, 1 is normal, and 2 is treble

nR - Add reverberation, where 0 is no reverb, range 0 to 9.

nV - Volume range 0 to 9 default 5.

There are additional commands for punctuation filtering, exception
dictionary, recording and playback of audio thru ADC (if functon
available on your chipset, and a few other control commands.
Details are in the chipset datasheet, these are for RC8660.

Again, this is device level commands, what is available is driver
level may differ. An API (application programming interface)
can be made such that CTL-A 5V (set volume to level 5) can
be coded as setVolume(5) or any other syntax as the coder
may desire, or these commands can be inserted into any ASCII
stream by using the CTRL-A (ASCII 0) to insert a command.

In the case of software like speakup, since it supports many
different synths, it has its own commands, which at the driver
level in speakup translate to the native commands of the synth.
The above are the native commands of RC8660 doubletalk
chip. It is quite a lot of fun to play with these commands and
its possible to make many different voices.

  -- Doug