Regarding running Linux with Speakup under a virtual machine with Windows XP

Michael Whapples mikster4 at msn.com
Thu Jun 7 17:15:23 EDT 2007

To add another option, it is possible to set up dual boot on the
computer and make windows the default. If you think the lilo, grub or
other boot loader screen would be off-putting to the rest of your
family, you can install lilo (I don't know about grub) to a floppy disk,
and leave the windows boot loader on the HD, so when you want linux
stick the lilo disk in. I guess you could actually install lilo to any
disk that you could boot from, eg. USB storage devices, etc. NOTE: with
this it is only the boot loader on the removable media, the OS is still
on the HD and so will behave as you would want and expect. I don't know
if other distros offer installing the boot loader to other places like
floppy, but I know slackware allows lilo on a floppy from the installer
(any distro should be able to install lilo to a floppy but you may need
to do it once it is installed).

From
Michael Whapples