comparison of different distros

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Mon Jun 4 17:05:35 EDT 2007

Slackware 11.0 has 2.6.x kernels in the 'extra' directory tree.  The
work on the next release seems to be exclusively with 2.6.x kernels,
but I can not guess when the next release will take place.  I have not
had much trouble compiling programs in Slackware, but I have found
that Slackware already includes most of what I need straight off of
the shelf--I have not added much to it at all.  Perhaps the next
Slackware release will suit your needs better.  Others here can
comment on their favorite distributions.

HTH, and have a great day.

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 10:23:57AM +0100, Michael Whapples wrote:
> Hello,
> With the news of ubuntu dropping speakup in gutsy, I am thinking of
> changing to another distro where I will have speakup for the text
> console. I am just wondering what is the advantages of the different
> distros (what is the good points and bad points to each one). I have
> previously used slackware, but found sometimes compiling software could
> be a problem due to the continuation of using a 2.4 kernel and some of
> the libs. I have also used gentoo which seemed to work well except for
> all configuration was left to be done by hand and if not careful while
> doing an update you may find the system fails because of a change in the
> configuration options. How does debian compare? Also could anyone point
> me in the direction of a comparison of the different distros.
>
> From
> Michael Whapples

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
...passing through The City of Internet at the speed of light...
SLOPE = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1)