New kernel for etch

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sun Jun 3 03:37:46 EDT 2007

Looking for some guidance preparing a new kernel for Debian etch with
speakup in it.
I have downloaded 2.6.18 vanilla sources and investigated applying Debian
specific patches to the tree but it all looks rather messy.
Does anyone have sample configs for 2.6.21.4 with or without speakup in them
or an idea where to get something suitable for Debian?
There are so many questions these days it would take quite awhile to answer
all the questions with make config and make menuconfig is a little clunky.

I have tried grabbing the .config from 2.6.18 and doing a make menuconfig
however some of the variables have disappeared and this does not look like a
clean solution.

I usually build the kernels with kernel-package and I am using an initramfs
with customizations to support evms. Basically I need a recent kernel with
speakup, the bd-claim patch and the bad-block relocation applied to it.
I can apply these patches and speakup to Vanilla sources; however defaults
for the .config have me a little stumped and i'd rather not do the whole
config myself without guidance unless I absolutely have to.

In the sarge days i'd grab 2.6.15, apply Marvell ethernet patches and
speakup then build 2 or 3 different images with speakup and vmware features
in them.

Looks like kernels have gotten a little trickier since then.

Regards, Kerry.