Speech-dispatcher, Festival and Flite

Jan Buchal buchal at brailcom.org
Sun Jun 3 01:31:39 EDT 2007

    H> Hi, this evening I tried to add Festival and Flite to my SD
    H> modules. In both cases I failed. Festival wants the Festival
    H> server, that's installed on my Ubuntu machine. But when I start
    H> SD, I get the message that a file named speech-dispatcher.scm was
    H> not found. Which file?
You need festival-freebsoft-utils package called in debian.

    H> Where to get or how to create? Flite runs over OSS, but for
    H> better results it was recommended to install NAS. Since I don't
    H> know the program I didn't install. Is it useful, and is it easy
    H> to handle? I could use Flite with OSS, but that device blocks
    H> other sound applications, such as music and video players, so I
    H> don't like it.

I think that NAS can bring you additional problems. Because if run NAT
then will blocked audio device from it and applications can play if the
can communicate trought NAS only. It is my feel I'm not sure complete.

    H> Any tips and hints?
Maybe will be possible use the alsa-oss package but I don't know how in
this situation. That's a question for Hynek Hanke.

--

Jan Buchal
Tel: (00420) 24 24 86 008