speakup, 2.6.22, and the way forward

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Jul 31 17:08:24 EDT 2007

From: "Daniel Drake" <dsd at gentoo.org>
To: <speakup at braille.uwo.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 10:06 PM
> On the other hand, the inability to do kernel hacking doesn't seem to be
> such a big deal for most users.

But for some people it is a  *huge*  deal.  I doubt that there are many
things in linux that people's jobs depend on. Ie. If this particular thing
stops working, then the person may lose his job.

Say linux didn't support sata hard drives. I know that would be crazy but
just suppose. Nobody is tied to using a sata HD. So all linux system
administrators would be at the same disadvantage.  Everybody would say,
"Well, that sucks" but nobody's job would be in jeopardy.

On the other hand, if linux doesn't talk at boot time, it will actually make
my job less secure. I need to be able to listen to boot messages. That's
what I do for a living.