Ubuntu or Fedora which one

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sun Jul 29 21:10:45 EDT 2007

I strongly suggest you make a decision and stick with it. As the old
adage has it, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Don't get me wrong. I like Fedora. I've used it for years, and I plan to
stay with it. But, if you've been learning Ubuntu, you need a much
better reason than you give below for leaving it in favor of some other
distro. That's no way to learn Linux. Once you're very comfortable,
perhaps you might want the experience of different distros so that you
can compare how things are done--but that's a different issue.

I stand by the advice we have long provided in the Speakup Modified
Fedora Installation HOWTO, which I now quote:

"Clearly, all users can choose among several Linux distributions, and we
note and applaud the several distributions of GNU/Linux that now
directly provide Speakup in their standard distribution
channels--including Slackware and Debian. Which particular distribution
one should choose is really a matter of personal choice. Our only advice
is that users unfamiliar with Linux choose a distribution for which they
can most easily get help when they have questions. In other words, it's
harder for the user of Fedora to help someone using Debian or Slackware.
This is an important point because beginning users will most certainly
have questions--many questions."

Janina