some comments on the speakup-modified fedora install howto

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Fri Jul 20 00:02:57 EDT 2007

Hi all.

I've just read through the speakup-modified fedora installation howto,
and the telnet mini-howto, and have some comments I'd like to make.

1. When describing the speakup-supported synthesizers, the install
howto says:

"iTripleTalk internal (PCI card) and Doubletalk internal (isa card)
dtlk."

I wasn't aware that the tripletalk pci was supported by speakup. When
did this development take place?

2. The install howto says:

"1. Switch to the second console by holding down the left Alt key and
pressing the F2 key. When you release these
       you'll find that you're at a # prompt.i Notice that this prompt
       is truly indicated by the pound sign--the # '#'
       symbo."

I'm guessing that "prompt.i" should simply say "prompt.", and that
"symbo" should really be "symbol"

3. The telnet howto explains how to install over telnet, but it
doesn't mention anything about logging in without speech
afterwords. Can one assume that the openssh server, if installed, is
ready for logins, and that root can login over ssh? Can one assume the
same for a telnet server, even though using telnet isn't
secure, unless you're on a trusted private lan? Finally, can one
assume that /etc/securetty is setup for allowing root to login on
pts/x consoles? I would suggest that this be mentioned in the telnet
mini-howto, so as to not leave the user without a hardware synth, and
without software speech ready to go, guessing at how to login after
the install. It also may not be a bad idea to mention either in the
main howto, or in the mini-howto, how you could make sure that a
telnet/ssh server is installed and ready to go after you reboot the
system once the install is done. Otherwise, this is as usual, well
written.

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org