in case this helps anybody

Albert E. Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Tue Jan 30 22:26:48 EST 2007

Last Tuesday, I wrote here about yum not updating.  Because I couldn't find or figure out how to fix this, I reinstalled FC6 from the DVD image last night.  It just seemed worth a shot.  It didn't help.  I tried the upgrade approach today, but that was a waste.  Being curious, I tried again installing from that hard drive partition but using the CD images instead of the DVD one.  Well, I got the old message about a missing package and the choice to reboot or retry.  So, though I know others have noted troubles using the DVD, it looks like my old FC6 installation blues arise only from the CD, whether as an image on the hard drive or as a burned CD.  I of course don't know if this info will help to solve the mystery of the disk -99 error message (which is what I got if I retried instead of rebooting), but I pass it along in case it might.

In the meantime, I'll likely either hang out with my good buddy GRML or reinstall FC6 from the DVD image with GRML's assistance.  Each has its pros and cons.

Al