Kubuntu problems

Chris Norman cnorman at rnibncw.ac.uk
Wed Jan 17 20:39:07 EST 2007

Well what I did was simple.

I installed ubuntu from the 6.10 CD, then went to a terminal and updated it.

Then I did:

apt-get install speech-dispatcher
apt-get install speechd-up
apt-get install espeak

Uncommented the "addmodule "espeak-generic"" line in my speechd.conf file,
went into the modules directory and changed the synch line to use "espeak"
instead of "speak", then did:

modprobe speakup_sftsyn
speech-dispatcher -d
speechd-up -d

I put those above 3 lines in a start-speakup script along with some
configuration stuff which I did by echoing numbers to
/proc/speakup/Various_files.

Then I set orca to use speakup.

I also put:
speakup_sftsyn