linux installation

Michael Whapples mikster4 at msn.com
Sun Jan 7 10:03:09 EST 2007

May be it is because I am tight fisted, but I wouldn't bother with CD drive
cleaning things (possibly with one exception, but you should still have a
good reason to think that it has got dirty). For most CD drives they are
drawer loading, and the head is never outside the drive where anything will
touch it (the exception being laptop CD drives where the head is in the tray
that pulls out or top loading (normally audio players)). Due to the head not
being exposed, it will only get dirt from the air, and I would suspect that
dirt might get dispersed by the draught from the CD spinning.

Another point that indicates the read head is OK is that the installer is
packages.

May be the first reason is just my thoughts, but the second makes some
sense. Why spend money unless you need to.

I have suggested some other solutions off list (including doing install of
slackware from a hard disc).

From
Michael Whapples