READING PDF IN GRML QUERY

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Wed Feb 28 22:37:06 EST 2007

If you install programs while running the livecd, and not from a hard
drive, those programs will of course be installed into a ramdisk,
which will be lost when you reboot/shut off the system, that's what
running off a livecd means. Maybe there's
a way to install packages to a drive partition, or some sort of large capacity
removable media, I don't know about that.

I'm not sure why installing packages while running the livecd would
make a system crash, unless you've installed so many packages that the
machine ran out of ram. In that case, you could create a swap file on
a large capacity removable media, activate it, and things should
presumably be fine, until you ran out of swap also. Another solution
would be to install a package, do with it whatever you need to do,
remove it, install another package that you need, and so on. This
would be tedious, and it may not be practical in all situations, but
it should be doable.

Greg