speakup ttsynth FC 7

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Aug 28 12:24:35 EDT 2007

You can use TTSynth with Orca in the graphical Linux desktop, however
there is currently an unresolved driver issue that requires you to kill
speech in the console in order to have speech in the graphical desktop.
You need first to install gnome-speech-ibmtts available from the Speakup
Modified repository. Thereafter, kill speech in the console with a
command like:

killall speakup-connector

You will then be able to start Orca with TTSynth. To resume speech on
the console, just rerun speakup-connector.

PS: This cumbersome situation is just one reason why we recomment
creating a symbolic link for speakup-connector that's quicker, and
easier to type.

Janina