debian 4.0 questions

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 10 19:16:16 EDT 2007

You shouldn't have gotten a GUI if you unselected the desktop applications.
But, well, that's done. It's not so bad because it will make it way easier
for you to try orca someday.

To disable it, you need to remove a symlink.

# rm /etc/rc2.d/S21gdm

Man, do I ever have that command memorized. I suspect debian puts that
symlink in there to drive blind people crazy. Seriously, I'm not sure why
that symlink is there. I would think if you say you want the desktop apps,
then they'd set the default run level to 5 instead of loading gdm for run
level 2.

You can start gdm any time by typing:

# /etc/init.d/gdm start