apt-get issues in debian etch and gentoo question

Sean M McMahon smcmahon at usgs.gov
Wed Aug 1 19:16:55 EDT 2007

Unless they've severely changed things in debian 4, apt-get install, or
now the recommended way, aptitude install will install a package +
dependencies.  Of course if you already have these dependencies, apt won't
install them.  A command like aptitude install --with-recommends
--with-suggests should install a package, its dependencies, recommended
packages and suggested packages.  Honestly however, when I attempted to
upgrade by using --with-recommends, apt told me which packages were
recommended but didn't install them.  You don't necessarily need every
recommended or suggested package.  Look at the package description to see
if you want it.  If you want to have a package but built it from source,
You should have a look at apt-build.  There was an interesting article in
the debian news which contained this topic.