apt-get issues in debian etch and gentoo question

Nick Gawronski nick at nickgawronski.com
Wed Aug 1 18:52:46 EDT 2007

Hi, I am currently running debian etch and am reading the posts on
gentoo dropping speakup.  Gentoo really sounds like a good version as
it is almost compiled entirely from source.  Is there any way like in
debian to install gentoo and use a speakup modified 2.6.21.6 kernel
with a dectalk express as that is what I have?  The issue I am having
with debian etch is that when I run apt-get install build-essential to
install the programs like gcc and other building programs a lot of
package names come up as rec amended and suggested packages.  What I
want apt-get to do is install all of these packages with out telling me
about them.  Of course I want to install the documentation or if I do
apt-get libc6-dev it tells me libc6-dev depends on libc6 but it is not
going to be installed.  Really I don't think that is good package
management and should be looked into.  What can I put in a file in the
apt.conf.d directory to tell apt to still prompt me but select the
suggested and rec amended packages when I want to install a package and
install dependencies for me?

--
My web page is http://www.nickgawronski.com