possible error

Doug Smith bdsmith at buncombe.main.nc.us
Fri Apr 27 23:33:56 EDT 2007

I might have found an error, but I am not sure.  I just have a few
questions about the following article.

http://live.gnome.org/Orca/UbuntuFeisty

Here are the points of concern I have.  Please look at this and see if
I have misunderstood, or help me with getting a stable install.

First of all, I did get the live cd:

http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/feisty-desktop-i386.iso

Now, I have it on a cd and have tried several times to get the
following to happen.

It boots just fine, but, when it stops, orca does not come up talking.
I have to launch it independently of all the other startup stuff by
using the alt f2 run application dialog.

Now, when I booted, I did this:

When the drive stopped spinning the first time, after the short spin,
I immediately pressed f5.  This should, it is stated, cause the list
of accessibility functions to appear.  I really wonder if it does,
and, please forgive me for saying this.  Here's why.

When I look into the isolinux directory on the ubuntu 7.04 disk, I see
nothing about accessibility mentioned there.  In fact, take a look at
the following file.

/mnt/cdrom/isolinux/f5.txt

This is with the ubuntu disk in your drive, and running something else
on the machine.  If it gives a list of what is to appear on the screen
when this function key is pressed, look closely.  It actually mentions
something about boot parameters for machines with special hardware
configurations, not accessibility.

Now, when you are in this menu, you are supposed to hit 3 to give
focus to the orca screen reader.  Here's another concern: It does not
seem to work.  I may be wrong, but I would appreciate some help here.
If that description of those special hardware configurations is on
there, it is impossible to press 3 to give foxus to an element that is
not around anywhere.

Now, something must happen, but not the whole thing.  When I just let
ubuntu boot up, then try to access orca, it does not work right at
all.  In fact, it is impossible to get anything permanent out of it.
It allows you to set up part of the accessibility, but not all.

Now, when I press 3 from the whatever's there after pressing f5, there
is a change.  Even though orca does not come up talking, I get the
configuration gui when I launch it.  This is strange, indeed.

Now, here's another concern I have.  When you finish setting up orca,
none of the settings appears to be taking effect.  In fact, I appear
to be losing controls, gradually.  How strange on a live cd.  The
other day, I was able to get to the volume control for the master
system volume.  It does not exist anymore.  Just last night, I was
able to log in and out and all this with no problem, causing the
settings I had in the orca configuration dialog to take effect, not
today, won't do it.  I cannot get the

quit...

option on the system menu to do a thing other than send me back to the
desktop.

Now, the last point of concern is this.  On the article page, it says
to use the control tab to get out of the city combo box when you have
your city and region selected.  Won't do it.  Once you get in there,
there's no way out except to shut the entier machine down, losing your
settings and all.  How do you really get that installer to work?

If anyone out there has had better results than this, I would
appreciate some help.  If this cannot be accomplished, it will be
necessary to wait for the next stable release of the system I am using
to come out, then re-invent all the things that have been done in the
graphical environment.  I would really like to have some help,
however.

Thanks.

--
Doug Smith: C.S.F.C.