VmWare

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Wed Apr 18 09:04:49 EDT 2007

yVmware emulates a soundcard for you...I forget exactly which one, but
it's one of those that just about every modern OS has drivers for.  It
uses your existing soundcard for output, so no need for a second card
for the OS in the vm.
On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 01:27:24AM -0600, Jeremy
wrote:
> Late reply to one of the earlier posts on this subject. I had asked a
> question about how to get a installation of linux running in a vm,
> and, I have to say that I did get it working. It Turned out to be
> very easy, but, I was wondering about sound support in the vm as I
> was just using speakup through my serial port. It was kind of cool
> when I got it working as I was on skype on the windows host and it
> never gave me any trouble, but, I am guessing that getting some sort
> of software synth working would not work unless I had another
> soundcard to rout it through? I am not even sure if I can find
> drivers for my soundcard that is built into this laptop, but, that is
> a question for another time I suppose. If someone can tell me more
> about how this kind of thing works, that would be wonderful. I
> noticed that someone did get software speech going with a vm, so,
> figured I would ask.
> Thanks bunches.

> I'm an idiot..  At least this [bug] took about 5 minutes to find..
Surely, Linus is talking about the kind of idiocy that others aspire to :-).
	-- Bruce Perens in response to Linus Torvalds's