Thinkpad Saga Continues

Beth Hatch bhatch200 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 12 23:55:26 EDT 2007

Re: Thinkpad Saga Continues
Hi Sean and all,

That's a really good question!<smile>  Yes, Fedora did notice my
Windows  partition.  The problem was that the way that Lenovo made the
partitions, according
to my Linux instructor, meant that we had to break  the existing
partitions before installing Linux and then fix grub to  recognize what
we had done.
The computer was broken into one 30  gigabyte partition and another 90
GB partition.  Since there wasn't  enough room on the smaller partition,
we had
to use the bigger one in  order to put Linux on one 45 GB partition and
Windows on the other 45 GB  partion we then made. this meant that we had
to temporarily
remove  Windows to build the new partitions.  Then when I tried to run
the XP installer, either the newer hardware on the Thinkpad wasn't
recognized, and also, Windows wouldn't even recognize that I had a Linux
partition at all.  I really don't know why we  couldn't find another way
to do this other than using a utility to  re-partition
the disk before installing. I'm not knowledgeable enough to  know if we
could have done it better.<smile> but my instructor said we  had to
breakt the
big partition in half so that Windows had half and  Linux had half.
That part confused me a little because I didn't  understand why he
couldn't break
up the partition right there and then,  and save my Windows
installation,but he said no, so we started by  breaking up the big
partition with the Fedora
installer and then  reinstalling Windows.  Here is where things got
weird and now we're  rebuilding the system.  If nothing else, it's a
learning experience.<smile>

Beth