Thinkpad Saga Continues

tony seth lp800 at myfreedombox.com
Thu Apr 12 22:51:47 EDT 2007

Hi all:  Since we're on the subject of thinkpads, I've got a bit of a
poser too.  First, I've tried a few different distros on this critter,
and here's the thing...
I can get grml to boot, but, it doesn't pick up the doubletalk when I
specify it to the grml prompt, however, when I am finished booting, and
echo it to /proc/speakup/synth_name, it comes right up.
So, I thought I'd try it with slackware, and no dice, even after the
boot process completes, I know it completes because I can run the eject
command and it releases the cd from the drive.  Is this a bios problem,
or is there someplace else I should be looking?  By the way, I did get
the 6.1 ubuntu to work too, but I like my text console better just
now... any help would be most welcome, as I'm running xp right now, I
kinda' liked it when I found out that xp won't even see a linux
partition so now I know that when I reinstall it on this beast I can do
a duel-boot on it and use it to test the linux version of Audio Quake
and still play my winders-based games too...
Thanks much!

--
Email services by FreedomBox.  Surf the Net at the sound of your voice.
www.freedombox.info