The gnome and orca interface - was: About Ubuntu

Georgina Joyce gena-j at bulldoghome.com
Tue Apr 10 13:58:39 EDT 2007

Hi

I'd replied to this thread but hadn't trimmed the message so it never
got out on the list, so here's another go!

Well, I can't comment on the accessibility question.  Attempting to run
before you can walk is likely to prove unsuccessful.  You should start
with being able to navigate around the desktop, dialog boxes, property
sheets and menus.

Most Windows activity involves using the tab key and the arrows.  Menus
are pulled down by pressing the alt key with another.  For example, 'f'
for the file menu, 'e' for the edit menu, 'very' for the view menu etc.
By tapping the alt key and the right curser key, you'll establish what
the top menu bar contains.  \You can pull these menus down to explore
what is in each of these categories.

I think it is the Window manager that provides the keyboard access to
Gnome, which I think is meta-city.  Anyway, when ubuntu is loaded, you
will be able to tab between 2 buttons of orca's panel.  You can press
alt+F2 to request an application by entering it's name in the run dialog
box.  Or it is likely you can select it by navigating through menus by
alt+F1 and then down arrow, when you hear a category you wish to
explore, you step to the right and to withdraw to the left.

To get to a full console you need to press alt+ctrl and the appropriate
function key i.e. alt+ctrl+F1 to get to tty1.  To kill the x / Gnome
session alt+ctrl+backspace but the ubuntu live CD will reload a new
session, ideal when you get in a mess.

You can shutdown from the alt+F1 menu but I usually go to a ordinary
console and issue the 3 fingered salute.

Go on, you can't loose with a live CD.  There's nothing to it, tab
arrows oh and not forgetting the enter key to select.

That's a short introduction but you would really benefit by reading and
experimenting yourself.

 See: http://live.gnome.org/Orca as a starting point.

HTH

Gena - Another GNU Linux user!