starting software speech automatically at boot

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Sat Apr 7 00:49:40 EDT 2007

I put together  a document on how to start software speech automatically if
no hardware synth is found. I tested this on my laptop with a doubletalk LT
external synth.  If the hardware synth is connected, it does not load
software speech.

The speech-dispatcher  package for debian already comes with a script to
start speech-dispatcher at boot time. I wrote 2 other scripts, one to echo
sftsyn to /proc/speakup/synth_name if no hardware synth is configured and
the other to start speechd-up.

For more info and to download the scripts see:
http://www.math.wisc.edu/~jheim/stuff/softsynth.html