about the latest ubuntu

talmage at somtel.com talmage at somtel.com
Wed Apr 4 20:53:08 EDT 2007

I don't know of any, but that's not to say there isn't such a thing.
If you have sighted assistance, than the easiest answer is probably
to open up the case and look for the data tag on the motherboard.
If assistance isn't readily available, you may want to go to the web
site for AOpen and see if you can find specs for their older systems
to compare them to your's.
Use factors like slots (how many, ISA verses PCI, is there an AGP,
etc.), how many memory slots are there, what is built-in (video,
audio, network), does it have USB and if so how many, does it have
serial and if so how many and what style- DB9 or DB25), etc.
The only problem with this approach is you're not always assured of a
match even though the info is available, as sometimes even the same
model motherboard may have slight variations.
As someone else suggested, you may want to consider pulling 1 of the
memory modules and taking it to a local computer shop to see if they
can tell you what it is, or maybe just get the name & numbers of it
and do a google search on those.  The number you would want would
probably end with either 128 or 256, depending on whether you
presently have 1 or 2 modules installed, and I guess for that matter
if there are 4 slots and they're all populated it would end with 64.
If you pull the memory, be careful and don't force anything, don't
touch the bottom edge, and put it in some type of static proof bag.
If you can't come up with any specifics on the type of motherboard,
and you end up buying memory locally, and you get something larger
than 256MB, make sure they are willing to give you your money back if
it doesn't work.  My old Dell notebook for instance has 2 Dimm slots
and won't take larger than 256MB modules.

HTH

Dave