about the latest ubuntu

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Wed Apr 4 15:06:00 EDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 11:16:05AM -0400, talmage at somtel.com wrote:
> That's not necessarily true.
> It's system dependent.
> Factors include Bios and motherboard.
> To find out what, and how to add memory, the best source is your
> computer, or motherboard's, manual.

Well, I've been building/fixing systems for 7 years now, and I never
quite got the hang of the ram installation description in mb
manuals. For example, the manual for one of my boards reads:

"This motherboard provides three 168 -pin DIMM sites for memory expans
ion. The DIMM sockets support IMx64 (SMID, 2Mx64 (16MID, 4Mx64 (32MIT,
SMx64 (64MIT, 16Mx64 (128MIT, 32Mx64 (256MID and 64Mx64 (512MB) or
double-sided DIMM modules. Minimum memory size is SMB and maximum
memory size is I.5GB SDRAM. There are three Memory module sockets on
the system board. (Total six banks)
In order to create a memory array, certain rules must be followed. The
following set of rules allows for optimum configurations.* The memory
array is 64 or 72 bits wide. (Depending on with or without parity)
* Those modules can be populated in any order
* Supports single and double density DIMMS
Table 2-1. Valid Memory Configurations
Bank
Memory Module
Total Memary_
Bank 0, 1 (DIMMI)
8, 16,32, 64,128, 256,512MB
SMB - 512MB
Bank 2, 3 (DIMM2)
8, 16, 32, 64,128, 256, 512MB
SMB - 512MB
Bank 4, 5 (DIMM3)
8, 16, 32, 64,128, 256, 512MB
SMB - 512MB
Total System Memory
SMB - L5GB"

This is OCRED, so I know it doesn't read quite right. However, this
for example seems clear enough:

"2Mx64 (16MID, 4Mx64 (32MIT,"

2X64 = 128, and 4X64 = 256, and not as they say 16 and 32. So, how are
they getting those numbers, or am I not reading this correctly due to
the OCR?Fortunately for me, all the modules in this system are non-ecc,
and the manual does say:

"(Depending on with or without parity)
* Those modules can be populated in any order"

Also, there are 3 sockets on this board, and 6 banks. I've always
interpreted that to mean that each bank is for each side of the module,
(I.E. bank 0 is for the first side of the first module, bank 1 is for
the second side of the first module). Is that correct?

BTW, I've currently got 512M of RAM in this system, consisting of 2 128M modules,
and a 256 module, all pc100. I'm looking to replace at least one of the 128 modules
with at least one 256 module, but new RAM of this type is expensive,
and more often then not, out of stock. Would anyone happen to have
1 or more 256 or 512 modules of this type laying around that you wouldn't mind
sticking in an envelope, tossing in the mail, and parting with? If so,
please let me know privately. Does anybody have an idea how much a 256
or 512 module of this type would reasonably go for from a used pc
parts store?

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org