about the latest ubuntu

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 4 09:35:12 EDT 2007

I suspect your problem is that ubuntu is running out of RAM. I have a 1 Ghz
P3 machine with 512 RAM. But ubuntu didn't work until I bumpted it up from
256 to 512. RAM for a machine like that is cheap. I got mine for free from
someone who was throwing out an old computer.  If you can get to a used
computer store, you should be able to bump your machine up to 512 for ten
bucks.

Even if you get it working, it will be painfully slow. You could experiment
with orca on a machine like that but it will be too slow to use for real.