now speakup won't speak on my fedora core 6 installation

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Apr 2 10:21:40 EDT 2007

Nick Gawronski writes:
> Hi, I have added the following lines to /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> title           fedora core 6
f you want grub to beep, stick a ctrl-g in there, perhaps before the 'F'
in Fedora.

> When I upgraded the kernel
Suggest you do install for kernels and not upgrade. That way you will
still have the older, presumably working kernel until you establish the
new one is OK. You can always 'rpm -e' the old kernel once you know the
new one is good.

> I am able to login
> as root to my fedora core 6 system and even if I do modprobe
> speakup_dectlk I get no speech and hear no beep when pressing back space

With Speakup built into the initrd you should have had speech through
the entire boot process, but I have seen this sometimes not working over
the past half year or so.
It has sometimes been bad enough for me that I've had to reseat my RS232
connector and power cycle both computer and external synth. Go
figure.

I presume you're issuing the modprobe natively on the console? And not
over ssh?

PS: I'm currently on the same kernel as you, but with a Doubletalk.

Janina